COVID-19 Resources

Photo by Kayla McCraren, BFA Exhibition 2017

Find support for academic, health, personal, and other needs from the College of Fine and Applied Arts, the campus, and our community.

COVID-19 Response FAQ for Students (Updated November 2020)

The top source for information on campus updates about the coronavirus is Please use this FAA FAQ to address your questions about academics and locate resources.

This has been difficult semester and I am unhappy with my academic performance. What are my options?

The campus implemented academic policy modifications for the fall 2020 semester on November 23, 2020. You may want to discuss these options and how they may impact your progress toward a degree with your FAA Departmental Advisor or the FAA Academic Affairs Office.

Drop Deadline

The deadline to drop a course without a grade of W and to use the campus grade replacement policy (undergraduates only) has been extended to 11:59 p.m. CST on December 18, 2020.

  • This deadline applies to semester-long courses, second eight-week courses, and nonstandard courses with an end date after December 1, 2020.
  • Students who want to drop a course that has an end date before December 1, 2020, should contact an advisor to discuss options.
  • Most course drops can be made through Self-Service until 11:59 p.m. CST on December 18, 2020, unless dropping a course puts a student below full-time enrollment status. Dropped courses at this point in the semester will not result in any refunds.

Credit/No Credit

The deadline to elect the credit/no credit (CR/NC) grade option has been extended to 11:59 p.m. CST on January 5, 2021.

  • Please note that the timeline to select CR/NC grading will be different than it was in the spring 2020 semester; the deadline is after final grades are available.
  • All students will have an adequate opportunity to make the CR/NC selection, and the window for selection extends beyond the end of the semester. For details, see the information from the Office of the Registrar.
  • Election of the CR/NC option for courses taken in fall semester 2020 will not count toward applicable minimums as outlined in Student Code Section 3-105.
  • For courses in which the CR/NC option is elected and credit is earned (letter grades of C− and higher), the credit is applicable toward major, minor, and general education requirements.

I am having trouble dropping a course in Self-Service. What should I do?

If dropping a course will put you below 12 credit hours, you must first submit an online underload/part-time status request for approval. Once you receive an approval email from the FAA Academic Affairs Office, you should be able to drop below 12 hours in Self-Service. See the policies about underload/part-time status for more information.

Please be aware that an underload may affect financial aid, visas, and progress toward a degree.

If you have a hold on your academic record, you must resolve this hold before you will be permitted to make any changes in Self-Service. Please contact the FAA Academic Affairs Office for assistance.

How does this new academic policy impact the Dean's List for fall 2020?

You must earn 12 graded hours and meet the minimum GPA requirement to qualify for the Dean's List. Check the information on the Dean's List for details.

Can I earn honors credit for a course I elect for CR/NC grading?

No, a course cannot be both selected for CR/NC grading and designated for honors credit. Students electing CR/NC grading will not maintain the "H" designation for the course.

I am having trouble with my online classes and need some assistance. Where can I get some help?

Here are some great resources on campus that can provide you with some tips for learning online:

Connecting to the Internet

Learn to Use Video Technologies

Keep Learning

Adapting to Being an Online Student

University Library Services

What if I do not have access to the necessary computer technology to participate in my online classes, cannot access the software required by my course, or have a poor Internet connection?

If you do not have access to technology that will allow you to engage in remote instruction, please contact the Student Assistance Center in the Office of the Dean of Students.

Who should I contact if I have specific questions about technology?

If you have specific questions or concerns about technology, please contact Technology Services for assistance or consult the Technology Services website.

This semester has been very stressful. Am I able to use campus resources from my home?

Yes, all of our campus resources are available to assist you remotely.

Please check the Counseling Center's website for frequent updates regarding telemental health services and online psychoeducation.

If you are experiencing a psychological emergency, please call the 24-hour Crisis Line at 217.359.4141 or 911.

The Counseling Center has additional COVID-19 resources available.

Where can I find a list of campus resources that may be helpful?

Visit the COVID-19 resource page from Student Affairs for available campus support services.

Also check the FAA Student Resource Guide.

My financial situation has been greatly impacted by COVID-19 events. Are there any financial resources I should consider?

Please feel free to reach out to your FAA departmental advisor, the FAA Academic Affairs Office, or the Student Assistance Center (217.333.0050 or to discuss your concerns. We all work together and may be able to help you identify the best resources for your situation. The Office of the Dean of Students has other useful suggestions.

I've had some trouble with my lease and rental office due to COVID-19 concerns. What should I do?

Off-Campus Community Living remains available to assist students. To schedule a virtual meeting, please call 217.333.0112 or email