June 24–30, 2018
Down deep you're an artist. You've been busy building lesson plans, grading projects, managing classrooms, meeting state guidelines, and nurturing young imaginations—and now it's time to tend to your own creative desires. Registration is now open!
Educator-artists from a broad range of disciplines live, work, and collaborate to push the boundaries of their practices. Faculty art and design mentors guide resident artists through critiques, offer challenges, make presentations, provide demonstrations, and engage in one-on-one sessions. A public exhibition culminates the experience.
All participants earn three total continuing education units from the University of Illinois. Graduate credit is not available for this program.
Space is limited. The following selection criteria will be taken into consideration:
- Full-time status at a public or private K–12 school
- Passion for the proposed residency project
- Compatibility with a faculty mentor
Application fee: $50 (nonrefundable)
Program fee: $500 (includes mentorship, shared studio space, five days/six nights in a single room, and meals)
All art supplies are the responsibility of each artist.
1. Prepare your supporting material, which can be cut and pasted into the application or attached as documents:
- A brief description of your proposed residency project that outlines the ideas or concepts you'll be exploring, the materials you'll need, and any tools and facilities that your project requires.
- A brief biography, an indication of the media you specialize in, and links to any online galleries if available.
- Program Alumni
- Micro-residency alumni are encouraged to reapply and return. Anyone who has participated for two or more summers is strongly encouraged to apply with a new challenge in mind, either working in a different medium or with a different faculty mentor.
2. Submit the online application with $50 application fee by May 1, 2018. Applicants are admitted on a rolling basis. Once the program is full, a waiting list will be started. Early application is strongly recommended, as we have had a waiting list every year of the program.
3. Payment of the program fee must be made no later than May 1, 2018. Those admitted after this date will be billed on a rolling basis.